Built as a private residence in 1800, a full 20 years before Maine would become the nation’s 23rd state, the building in which The Cumberland Club resides was built by John Kimball, a prolific builder of Federal-style homes in Newburyport, Massachusetts. Kimball built the house for Steven McLellan, a prosperous merchant and ship owner. The British embargo during the War of 1812 caused the McLellan fortune to dwindle. The house changed hands several times during the next few decades. The last private owner of the house was Mr. H. R. Jose, one of the owners of Portland Glass Company. Examples of this decorative glass can be found within the USS Maine Room. The building was spared from the destruction of Portland’s last great fire in 1866 and in 1896 would become the home of The Cumberland Club.
Completely handicapped accessible, the Club’s main floor contains four dining venues, the President’s Room, the sun-filled casual Atrium, the Chamberlain Bar and the gracious formal dining rooms.
Facing High Street, two formal living rooms, the Red Room and the Main Lounge feature comfortable seating, major works of art and working fireplaces.
Private dining rooms of various sizes, the boardroom, the ballroom and the newly renovated billiard room are available for business or social use.